Matar Makhana Curry is a popular delicacy that most of us have tasted and love. This ‘Khoya Makhana Paneer ki Sabzi’ is a no onion-garlic variation of the same and makes for a perfect side dish to be savored alongside Samak Pulav or Kuttu ki Poori during the auspicious days of Navratri. Needless to say, khoya in this beautiful curry makes it quite rich, also lending it a subtle creamy taste. If you want, you can also add some nuts to make it even more sumptuous. And off-course, it makes for a great dish to be relished during non-fasting days as well; pair with a lachcha parantha or naan and you are all set for an exquisite meal. Let’s take a look at the recipe below.
- Paneer (cut into bite size cubes) – 1 1/2 cups
- Phool Makhana (Lotus Seeds) – 15 to 20
- Khoya (crumbled) – 2 tbsp
- Ginger (finely chopped) – 1 tsp
- Green chilies (finely chopped) – 2 tsp
- Tomatoes (medium size, pureed) – 3
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel (saunf) powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 2 tsp
- Salt (Sendha Namak) – as per taste
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp
- Chopped nuts (cashews, raisins) – 1/2 tbsp (optional)
- Chopped coriander – a handful
1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pressure cooker and roast makhana on medium flame until they turn golden. Dish out and keep aside.
2. In the same cooker, add the remaining oil. Next add cumin seeds, chopped green chilies and chopped ginger; saute for 1 minute.
3. Now add all spice powders and cook for few seconds after which add the tomato puree.
4. Cook till the oil separates.
5. Next add khoya and mix well. Again let it cook till you see oil separating.
6. Add about 2 cups of water along with sugar and bring to boil. (Adjust as per the consistency you like)
7. Now add paneer cubes and roasted makhanas, cover the lid and pressure cook till 1 whistle.
8. Let the pressure release naturally, open the lid and add a little more garam masala powder. Mix well.
9. Garnish with fresh chopped coriander, chopped nuts and serve hot.